Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

5-4 Part 1: Multiplying Fractions

Hey guys! I miss you all. Lymie says hello :)

When I told Roscoe you guys were working on fractions, he gave me the stink eye:

:) Anyway. Onto more fraction stuff.

Fortunately, it's quite easy to multiply fractions. All you need to do is multiply the tops, multiply the bottoms, and then simplify.
The example @ the bottom of pg. 252 sums it up quite well:

3/7 x 4/5 --- First, multiply the tops. 3 x 4 = 12, so our new numerator is 12.
              ---- Next, multiply the bottoms. 7 x 5 = 35, so our new denominator is 35.
              ---- If we put our new numbers together, our fraction is 12/35.

Since 12/35 is already in simplest form, 12/35 is our answer. You just have to remember to simplify after you've multiplied if the fraction is not already in simplest form.

Sometimes, to make life a little easier, you can simplify fractions BEFORE you multiply. Read through example 2 on pg. 253 as a class to see how it works.

If you encounter a mixed number, simply transform it into an improper fraction and then multiply. This can be seen in example 3 on pg. 253. Please read through this example as a class as well - you won't be solving too many word problems for fractions in the near future, but this is actually one of those times when, if you said, "Are we EVER going to use this outside of school?!?!" I can say, "Most likely." :) Fractions are everywhere.

I have a feeling some of you might be totally fine with this concept but will get stuck when you see negative numbers. REMEMBER your negative rules! :) Work on pg. 255, 1 - 13 today. If you finish early you can try the quick checks.

Tomorrow I will post the rest of 5-4 (Dividing Fractions). It's actually pretty easy!


10 comments:

  1. Rosco Is so cute! And nice name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =3 i like fractions but i agree with roscoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE MISS U TOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! same, i agree with Roscoe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you just made this so much easier. Thank you, and Get Well Soon! Hi Roscoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. Johnson

    We miss you like crazy. I have lots of things to tell you. How's Roscoe and Lyme Disease treating you? Anyway we are still on changing decimals into fractions and fractions into decimals its pretty hard but if you could can you show it to me in a easier way (thx :)) I got an A in Math (surprisingly :D) Sammie likes these british boys youtube star name Jack AND Finn Jessica says and I quote "I cant wait 4 u to come back and I love you and miss you soooooooooooooooo much." Mrs.Croskey is fun but we want you back. Your like are older sister that cares for us and the we are like your Brady Bunch except its like 20 something of us. I have sad new Harry (Harry from 1D) changed his curls. Now I miss his curls like crazy and you like crazy. I'm listening to 90s songs and guess what came on. Good Riddance (Time of your life) and it made me remember when we were in Study Skills and you had the guitar and try to sing it to us. Good Times even though it was last year. Have a Great Day oh and When are you gonna come back I miss u

    love,
    Destiny

    P.S. The Spring Concert was awesome plus short so yea Bye :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Destinyyyyyy! I miss you guys too. Roscoe is good :) I'm not quite better yet but God has everything under control. Always. :)Your post made me LOL remembering you guys and the One Direction stuff! Hopefully I'll see you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. r u gnna come back this year?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. if I can't come back to teach you, I will at least be back to hang out with you guys before the school year ends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw you yesterday I liked you outfit lol :)

    ReplyDelete